Wednesday, August 13, 2014

John 10: 10 - 11

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.  I am the good shepherd.  The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

Last weekend I went to Becoming an Outdoors Woman with my good friend of twenty years.  BOW is provided by North Dakota Game and Fish.  I learned how to use a compass, tie new knots and cook outside in a Dutch Oven.  It is good to know how to make something over charcoal besides toasted marshmallows and hot dogs.  The weather was lovely and new friendships were made.  BOW really has women figured out.  They gave us high quality cloth bags and then gave us other freebies to fill it!  What freebies, you ask?  A compass, a book on knots, cooking utensils, matches, fire starter, silk flowers, and a T-shirt!!!

As I have noted earlier, I am very grateful to God and my hubby for my new hearing.  I find myself wondering what I will do to show my gratefulness.  Which leads to the question of "What will I do with the rest of my life?"  I know this is a common question of people of a "certain age."  Ahem.

So, my friend and I mulled over this question into the wee hours of the night, instead of sleeping after a full day of BOW activities.  I don't know if she had any "a-hah!" moments.  The comforting thought that came to me was this:  I don't need to answer that question right now.

Then, wouldn't you know it, the following Tuesday Bible study focused on Martha.  You know, the hardworking follower of Jesus, the hostess with the mostest who got frustrated with her sister who didn't help her.  It seems to me Jesus told her she didn't need to DO anything.

I guess Jesus did it all.

How's about another blast from 1990?  We learned our Habitat for Humanity project would be in Bolivia, South America:

06-20-90 Wednesday

I'd like to be happy.  Move onward and upward.

Bolivia sounds downright cold and harsh and citified.

LORD, how did You manage to find the opposite of all I had hoped for?  The other choices for projects are hot and isolated and countrified.  I had hoped for beauty, moderate climate, flowers, birds and trees.

I feel lost.  What do I want now?  Are my priorities all screwed up and selfish?

Boliva pro's:
not hot
no malaria
hard working people
politically calm (?)
God's will (?)
near to medical care (?)
good food nearby (?)
new project
house-building materials handy (?)

Bolivia cons:
cold
city
disappointing
barren
water not potable

06-21-90 Thursday

Dear Abba -

Bolivia. Peace. Happiness. Gratefulness. Humbleness.  Thank You for Your patience as I slowly let go of "I Want" and "Me."  Thank You for the return of the feeling of rightness.  Thank You that I can look my children in the eye and know I am not leading them into KNOWN problems like malaria, tropical heat (and all its charms) and isolation.  Thank You for Your faithfulness for all Your people.

The project hasn't been approved yet.  That is in Your hands.  If it is indeed Your will and we get this project, I rejoice in the fact that a woman is wanted there.  I am an important part of the package.  My husband and me and the kids together.  You are so good.  I will give You thanks with all my heart.  I will tell of Your wonderful deeds.  I will rejoice and be glad in Thee.  I will sing praise to Your Name, Most High.

Lead me, Abba.  Thanks for Your persistence.  Let me and mine be Your hands and feet and voice.  Amen

1 comment:

  1. "Jesus did it all" something I have to remind myself daily! That I don't have to DO DO DO because it's already been DONE DONE DONE!! So did you end up going to Bolivia?? I truly love and admire your willingness to Go wherever God sends you! Love you my beautiful, sparkly friend!

    ReplyDelete